Skip to main content

Why ?

Searching for that lost inspiration, I stumbled onto a question that has been with me for a long time; a question that perhaps chases all of us : why ? I got to the question in a very unusual way.

I saw a TED Talk, about 20 mins long given by a guy about productivity while I was looking at interesting titles. He talked about something he defines to be the 'golden circle' What ? How ? and Why ? with why ? at the center and the rest following the order to the periphery. He argued that most of us went from What ? to How ? and on to Why ? and mostly never made it to Why? because we stuck with what we know, what ? While great communicators start with why ? and proceed outwards. This resonated with people of similar values and motives and brought all of them together.

I don't know how true this paradigm is, but its sure worth giving a bit of thought to. So this stayed at the back of my mind. Meanwhile I had been the group leader of something and it was going pretty bad with very low amount of cooperation between us. I realized that among us we knew what we were doing and how we were doing it but not much idea about why we were doing it ! All of our Why?'s were weak or superficial: there was nothing that resonated with us and made us move. Thinking about this and the possible ways in which our work could affect others not only gave a great insight about what we were doing but also part of answer to the question 'Where art thou ? My inspiration ?'.

In the work that was making me feel uninspired, even though the particulars interested me there was no holistic view or idea. We were just making a product that might be helpful to a few people free of cost, it did not add to our worldview only to our skills. Let us see if I'll be able to find a worthwhile reason !

That solves part of the mystery. Now I can continue my search for the rest of the answer with a considerably lighter heart :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interstellar

I watched Interstellar two days after it was released on a lazy Sunday morning with a big fat tub of popcorn and one of my closest friends with me in a chilly multiplex.That isn't where our story begins though. That Friday when the movie was released  my brother had threatened to spill the bean and later on after watching it all I heard from him was something akin to a 'Meh'. So much for expectations ! Being from a place where you overhear people discuss string theory over steamy idlis I had the opportunity to talk to a few very different people about the movie. One of my friends who is an aspiring physicist told me that he found the movie appalling. It would have been okay if it had chosen to show light sabres or warp or any impossibility like the Star Trek/Wars series which might be explained by future technology and is put in an already non-realistic environment. However interstellar had goofed up already know things; it had shown things that we know fo...

Heroines and Heros :)

 I don't remember when I read my first fantasy novel. As far as my recollection goes, those distant days have gone into the dark mists of time and never wandered back. Hearing my father narrate the adventures of Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera and of course Kaa is one of my earliest memories. After that the worlds which I have been a part of are too many to list yet I will try to list a few :), Eragon Cycle all the way to 'Inheritance', Ameer Hamsa and Mahabharatha and its cohorts (of very questionable beliefs when I look back upon them), bits of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, Magicians Series by Lev Grossman, Firefly, Avatar, Jumanji and recently HPMOR (Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality). It would be a great injustice to discount the works like 'Around the World in 80 days', 'Nautilus' , SHE and Ayesha , House MD ( :D) and numerous others of this league. Even though they're not called fantasy per se, they do transport you to a different world full of ...

Accelerating Universe

Today I had the opportunity to listen to Prof. Brian Schmidt, Nobel Laureate in Physics in the year 2011. Being (relatively) a very young student of Mathematics and Physics I did not understand the involved, mathematical (and most probably the juiciest) part of his one hour long talk; however even without that, it was quite fascinating. Instead of the usual impersonal presentations we were greeted by a simply formatted and edited presentation with lots pictures which were threaded together to provide a narrative of his research interwoven with the pressing questions in the field. Almost all of the things he talked about were quite new to me; I still practically have no grasp over most of them. He talked about the shape of the universe and how depending on a differential equation (Friedmann Equations) dealing with scale factor a, how the shape of the universe can be closed, flat or open, how it can be expanding and how the expansion can be accelerating or not. Another interesting ...