Skip to main content

Groups

Before I go back to the adventures with tetrahedrane, I thought I would take a short break to talk about group theory.

I started learning group theory seriously some time back, as a part of chemistry course. Till now I had seen notations like \(D_{h}\)and \(T_{d}\) and had secretly wondered what they were with a vague feeling that they somehow represented what the molecule looked like. My footing in rigorous math is at best questionable, so pardon me wherever I might not be that precise.

Groups are an abstract collections of things/objects (as it might be evident from the name) with a particular operations defines between elements (like addition or multiplication) that obey particular properties. The most obvious and oldest of groups are things known as rotation groups. They are what they sound like: groups which are collection of all the rotations you can do. For example Euler's theorem says that any rotations of an object be it a chair or a planet where a point in the body remains fixed ( for example if you let a coin spin, then the points on its axes remain fixed) can be described by three rotations about a set of axes/ three Euler angles. More on rotations later. So lets get back to properties that defines a group.

Suppose \(G=\left\{ g_{1},g_{2},...g_{n} \right\} \) is our would be group with the operation *. For it to be a group it should satisfy the following properties.

1. Identity - There should be an element \(e\) in \(G\) such that for any element \(g\) in \(G\), \( g*e=e*g=e\)

2.Inverse - For every element \(g\) in \(G\), there should be another element \(a\) in \(G\) such that \(a*g=g*a=e\)

3. Closure - For any two elements \(a\) and \(b\) in \(G\), their product should always be in G itself.

4.Associativity - \(a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c\) for any \(a,b,c\) in \(G\).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interstellar

I watched Interstellar two days after it was released on a lazy Sunday morning with a big fat tub of popcorn and one of my closest friends with me in a chilly multiplex.That isn't where our story begins though. That Friday when the movie was released  my brother had threatened to spill the bean and later on after watching it all I heard from him was something akin to a 'Meh'. So much for expectations ! Being from a place where you overhear people discuss string theory over steamy idlis I had the opportunity to talk to a few very different people about the movie. One of my friends who is an aspiring physicist told me that he found the movie appalling. It would have been okay if it had chosen to show light sabres or warp or any impossibility like the Star Trek/Wars series which might be explained by future technology and is put in an already non-realistic environment. However interstellar had goofed up already know things; it had shown things that we know fo...

Heroines and Heros :)

 I don't remember when I read my first fantasy novel. As far as my recollection goes, those distant days have gone into the dark mists of time and never wandered back. Hearing my father narrate the adventures of Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera and of course Kaa is one of my earliest memories. After that the worlds which I have been a part of are too many to list yet I will try to list a few :), Eragon Cycle all the way to 'Inheritance', Ameer Hamsa and Mahabharatha and its cohorts (of very questionable beliefs when I look back upon them), bits of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, Magicians Series by Lev Grossman, Firefly, Avatar, Jumanji and recently HPMOR (Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality). It would be a great injustice to discount the works like 'Around the World in 80 days', 'Nautilus' , SHE and Ayesha , House MD ( :D) and numerous others of this league. Even though they're not called fantasy per se, they do transport you to a different world full of ...

Accelerating Universe

Today I had the opportunity to listen to Prof. Brian Schmidt, Nobel Laureate in Physics in the year 2011. Being (relatively) a very young student of Mathematics and Physics I did not understand the involved, mathematical (and most probably the juiciest) part of his one hour long talk; however even without that, it was quite fascinating. Instead of the usual impersonal presentations we were greeted by a simply formatted and edited presentation with lots pictures which were threaded together to provide a narrative of his research interwoven with the pressing questions in the field. Almost all of the things he talked about were quite new to me; I still practically have no grasp over most of them. He talked about the shape of the universe and how depending on a differential equation (Friedmann Equations) dealing with scale factor a, how the shape of the universe can be closed, flat or open, how it can be expanding and how the expansion can be accelerating or not. Another interesting ...