Skip to main content

Identity Crisis

Facing identity crises is one of the ongoing battles of all our lives. Our sense of identity is supposed to be (and I think it is to some extant) something that makes us humans. A large part of our life is spent trying to define who we are. All of us Batman fans will never forget the line "It's not who we are underneath, but what we do that defines us." In a sense it is funny how we struggle and work in cubicles and take to streets just to define who we are. How would life have been if there was no sense of identity ?

Moving on that from very interesting question I want to talk about (a bit selfishly I admit :D ) about an identity crisis that is quite different from others. I have my fair share of the the age related ones but this one is quite different. I can only start talking about it by not talking about it :D






These are some of the photos I took last time I went home. Walking into the sunset in the last photo are my parents <3.

This is where I grew up. I remember going on endless walks through the trees and rocks. There was no dearth of places to explore. The sense of exhilaration on climbing up a new rock and resting on its top knowing that this is one place where you're alone with the world. Its your own in a way. I remember walking in the first rain and the hot, dry summer sun. The long nights spent on top of rocks talking with my parents and staring at the numerous stars in the crystal clear night sky, warm rock sheltering you from the cool night air :) The fiery sunsets with mountains standing tall.

For years now I've been living in towns and cities. I enjoy a lot that they have to offer. The facilities, the feeling of life, high speed internet :D and so on. I've gotten used to them too, in a way. But recently I've gone home only a very few times and I miss these :)

The sense of space and freedom that the rural landscape offers is I think quite alien to city souls. You don't exist except in your own awareness. There is earth and plants and trees around you and nothing else. This goes on and on. You're like a photon that became a wave when it was not observed. You've lost your identity for a moment. You're a small part of immense nature that surround you know.

When you are out there for a while, all the noises quite down. You're able to hear yourself think and unnecessary things start disappearing.

At night you hear the crickets and cacophony of frogs and a few occasional barks punctuate the silence. Otherwise the silence and darkness are unbroken till the dawn. But at dawn you wake up to the chippings of birds and sunlight on your face :) During different seasons there are mangoes, gooseberries or seethaphals or jamun to pick :) 

I don't know how I'll live without any of that. Nor do I know if I'll live with any of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interstellar

I watched Interstellar two days after it was released on a lazy Sunday morning with a big fat tub of popcorn and one of my closest friends with me in a chilly multiplex.That isn't where our story begins though. That Friday when the movie was released  my brother had threatened to spill the bean and later on after watching it all I heard from him was something akin to a 'Meh'. So much for expectations ! Being from a place where you overhear people discuss string theory over steamy idlis I had the opportunity to talk to a few very different people about the movie. One of my friends who is an aspiring physicist told me that he found the movie appalling. It would have been okay if it had chosen to show light sabres or warp or any impossibility like the Star Trek/Wars series which might be explained by future technology and is put in an already non-realistic environment. However interstellar had goofed up already know things; it had shown things that we know fo...

Heroines and Heros :)

 I don't remember when I read my first fantasy novel. As far as my recollection goes, those distant days have gone into the dark mists of time and never wandered back. Hearing my father narrate the adventures of Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera and of course Kaa is one of my earliest memories. After that the worlds which I have been a part of are too many to list yet I will try to list a few :), Eragon Cycle all the way to 'Inheritance', Ameer Hamsa and Mahabharatha and its cohorts (of very questionable beliefs when I look back upon them), bits of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, Magicians Series by Lev Grossman, Firefly, Avatar, Jumanji and recently HPMOR (Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality). It would be a great injustice to discount the works like 'Around the World in 80 days', 'Nautilus' , SHE and Ayesha , House MD ( :D) and numerous others of this league. Even though they're not called fantasy per se, they do transport you to a different world full of ...

Accelerating Universe

Today I had the opportunity to listen to Prof. Brian Schmidt, Nobel Laureate in Physics in the year 2011. Being (relatively) a very young student of Mathematics and Physics I did not understand the involved, mathematical (and most probably the juiciest) part of his one hour long talk; however even without that, it was quite fascinating. Instead of the usual impersonal presentations we were greeted by a simply formatted and edited presentation with lots pictures which were threaded together to provide a narrative of his research interwoven with the pressing questions in the field. Almost all of the things he talked about were quite new to me; I still practically have no grasp over most of them. He talked about the shape of the universe and how depending on a differential equation (Friedmann Equations) dealing with scale factor a, how the shape of the universe can be closed, flat or open, how it can be expanding and how the expansion can be accelerating or not. Another interesting ...