Skip to main content

Trust

Its been a long time since I've written anything here because I'm having too much on my plate now, and even now my plate hasn't cleared up that much, but I need this. I don't know if I'll be able to actually write this, to say what I really want to say, to go to the end because its associated with so many things I've been trying to make sense of, to get over or to see past if possible; the kind of things that keep you awake in your bed at 2'o'clock in the night after the lights go out.

What is trust ? Its probably futile to put try put trust in a straightjacket since it is so many different things for different people. So I'll focus on one very subtle kind of thing that I see as trust and which I feel goes often unnoticed.This kind of trust cannot exist without at least two parties, so we'll have to go back to look at how we interact with people to get an idea of what this subtle aspect of trust is.

We as human beings have systems like mirror neurons that enables us to model actions of others based on ourselves and we use these to our great advantage : without these you would have no clue how another person would behave. I don't know if the kind of trust I'm talking about comes from such basic biological processes or is a much more complex learned thing, probably its a bit of both. But it involves the dynamic and ever growing models your mind build through its endless interactions with other humans, on how people will respond and behave: say what is the normal reaction expected if you punch someone in the nose ? will they chase you with a baseball bat or smile at you ? Apart from such dramatic situations even in more complex and subtle relationships we have in  life, like the one between a man and woman (or girl and boy if you will :) ) or a parent and a child, or the one between siblings or close friends, these models play a key role. The models you have  of each person you have, consciously or unconsciously modulates and shapes all your actions towards them even if you haven't noticed it.

Sounds pretty neat doesn't it ? It is actually. Its probably one of the things that make us human and have allowed us to get so far and organize into extremely intricate,beautiful and enormous social web spread over the globe. We wouldn't be able to navigate life without this model machine of ours, we would be lost in a sea of chaos with no maps or rudders. However there is a catch; a flaw so ingrained into the works of this system that even though its staring right at you, you miss it: you really know only one person, you. It might seem ridiculous at first. 'I know my parents, I know my girlfriend/boyfriend, I know my best friends !'  You might exclaim, reasonably too. The only problem is that you don't. You think you know them because you've got a fairly accurate model of them which lets you understand who they are, what they are and their actions. But life isn't that simple.For example, we haven't yet learned how to put a human being into an equation and churn it  enough to generate the whole mosaic of their actions, inspirations, thoughts.

So what ? you might ask. The world is built on approximations, forget human beings you can't even really say where an electron is ! We have evolved ( I might be wrong about the whole thing :D, my apologies in case ) this neat way of doing it fairly well and it works good. So what's wrong ? Its true that it works on global scale very well; otherwise I wouldn't be here writing this and you wouldn't be reading it from some far away place. However like all models it has it's pitfalls and we usually land in bit of fix forgetting this. It breaks down at a personal level.

At the global level it works well because things even out, we have so many interactions and so many ways of doing things assimilated from our society/surroundings and our actions are modulated so much by our environment that the number of right results predicted usually astronomically over weigh the wrong ones. So we keep it :) However at a personal level things aren't so neat and linear as you wish they would be, if they were life would be pretty boring.

At a personal level we do things that even surprise us. We luckily don't follow an algorithm to life. We improvise on the way and progressively change what we're doing like a protein folding into its right structure progressively because its too damn hard and not at all fun to do it in one go (I'm not saying its right because proteins do it, there is no correlation I can think of ! but it makes visualizing it a bit easier :) ). This is one of the things that life is about, finding out what it is as you live it, knowing that its not determined,nor is it prefabricated. So in relationships at this level you have to be really careful when you use your models because they're just the models of one small person which is going to have trillions of errors in it, however smart  you may be and it is not going to get trillions of interactions to correct itself, unlike the global case.

Seems like we're in a bit of a fix ! What do we do ? The solution is really simple, ditch the model (Locally ! I'm not responsible for any damage from misapplication of this piece of information :D ). Go for the real thing. It is impossible to do this on the global scale, however for a few people that matter in your life, you can restrain your model and deal with reality, with the living, talking, walking person who is with you. Just tell them what you think and ask them what do they think. It doesn't mean you'll seek everyone's opinion or reassurance or you won't be self sufficient or independent. It means when you do stuff that generally involve another human being at a personal level where you don't have goals or agendas, you trust them to be your insecure self without your omnipotent-model machine. It is also unfair to deal with people on the basis of what you think they will do, because there is supposedly, after all, a thing called 'free will'.

It sounds very easy, piece of cake isn't it ? Unlucky for us it isn't, at least for most people. To ditch our models for us is to get off the life support, to pull the cord so to speak. You can't really judge or ignore with the consolation that you're right and you can't hide all your insecurities,fears and uncertainties. You have to be your damn imperfect self and believe me that is one of the hardest things to do. To let go of all your 'if only I were' s and 'I'm not cut out for this' s and just be your self. Its very scary ! You might discover that you have flaws and weaknesses and that you're no Superman or Cat woman but it also lets you see who you really are as a human being, if you want to :) Maybe you could improve a little here or there or you could not, but you will realize who you are. But what if you don't measure up ? What if you just fall short ? That's a really tough cookie to get over but probably it doesn't matter because you are you: the only one authentic limited edition piece of you that ever will walk the surface of this planet. Like someone wise said (I can't remember who :D ) : 'You are not the clay statue but the hands that kneaded the clay   and made the statue'.

The funny things is once you do trust someone like this, you find that the real thing is what brings color to our lives. To not know exactly what the other will do and yet be happy :) All the small and beautiful things we share with people, all the warm and fuzzy feelings and all those cherished moments that you never forget happen. You are not alone anymore. Life begins :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interstellar

I watched Interstellar two days after it was released on a lazy Sunday morning with a big fat tub of popcorn and one of my closest friends with me in a chilly multiplex.That isn't where our story begins though. That Friday when the movie was released  my brother had threatened to spill the bean and later on after watching it all I heard from him was something akin to a 'Meh'. So much for expectations ! Being from a place where you overhear people discuss string theory over steamy idlis I had the opportunity to talk to a few very different people about the movie. One of my friends who is an aspiring physicist told me that he found the movie appalling. It would have been okay if it had chosen to show light sabres or warp or any impossibility like the Star Trek/Wars series which might be explained by future technology and is put in an already non-realistic environment. However interstellar had goofed up already know things; it had shown things that we know fo...

Heroines and Heros :)

 I don't remember when I read my first fantasy novel. As far as my recollection goes, those distant days have gone into the dark mists of time and never wandered back. Hearing my father narrate the adventures of Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera and of course Kaa is one of my earliest memories. After that the worlds which I have been a part of are too many to list yet I will try to list a few :), Eragon Cycle all the way to 'Inheritance', Ameer Hamsa and Mahabharatha and its cohorts (of very questionable beliefs when I look back upon them), bits of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, Magicians Series by Lev Grossman, Firefly, Avatar, Jumanji and recently HPMOR (Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality). It would be a great injustice to discount the works like 'Around the World in 80 days', 'Nautilus' , SHE and Ayesha , House MD ( :D) and numerous others of this league. Even though they're not called fantasy per se, they do transport you to a different world full of ...

Accelerating Universe

Today I had the opportunity to listen to Prof. Brian Schmidt, Nobel Laureate in Physics in the year 2011. Being (relatively) a very young student of Mathematics and Physics I did not understand the involved, mathematical (and most probably the juiciest) part of his one hour long talk; however even without that, it was quite fascinating. Instead of the usual impersonal presentations we were greeted by a simply formatted and edited presentation with lots pictures which were threaded together to provide a narrative of his research interwoven with the pressing questions in the field. Almost all of the things he talked about were quite new to me; I still practically have no grasp over most of them. He talked about the shape of the universe and how depending on a differential equation (Friedmann Equations) dealing with scale factor a, how the shape of the universe can be closed, flat or open, how it can be expanding and how the expansion can be accelerating or not. Another interesting ...