Skip to main content

Understanding


This post might perhaps be the one that points to the core of the reason of creation of this blog. It is not the same thought I had in my mind when I started writing; it has metamorphosed and changed its meaning but has not lost its importance, to me at least.

It is about being understood and being able to reach out. Are you really understood by anyone ? Am I ? I don't know and I know that there is no sure-fire objective way of finding the answer. You assume some people understand you because they get everything you say and you've known them for a while. You can't know more than that. But for a long time, for unknown reasons this question has been pressing on my mind, again and again. I feel that I am not understood, most of the time, with most people. I don't know if this bothers other people but understanding seems to play a key role in all relationships. Remember the line "You don't get what I'm saying ?". It is so cliche that it doesn't even stand out as a line.

What does being understood mean ? I have been trying to tackle that question because it might offer me a way to get out of this situation. A lot of ideas have come and gone but only a few have stuck. One of them is actually inseperable from the above stated : loneliness. You feel less lonely when you are understood by someone at a deeper level. You feel that there is some one who shares at least that idea with you. I won't dwell on the more interesting question brought up here : why do we feel the need to identify with someone ?

Another idea that has stayed is of self-worth. Some part of your self worth is based on being respected and being 'known' in a sense. By 'known' I don't mean popularity, I mean that the people who know you generally respect your ideas and thoughts. They listen to you. This is somehow very important to self worth apparently, but I still don't know why.

The third candidate is understanding yourself. You get a better idea of who you are and what you think when other people understand you and you see your own thoughts and ideas reflected from them and see them for what they really are. It might sound like a small deal. You know what you know right ? But then why does people take eons to realize that they love other people, why do they black out after studying hard for a test or destroy an interview that they could have aced with their hands tied to their back ? Some people call it lack of confidence; I would rather call it not truly knowing how good you are, what you expect etc. Essentially not knowing yourself for who you are and knowing what you know and are capable of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interstellar

I watched Interstellar two days after it was released on a lazy Sunday morning with a big fat tub of popcorn and one of my closest friends with me in a chilly multiplex.That isn't where our story begins though. That Friday when the movie was released  my brother had threatened to spill the bean and later on after watching it all I heard from him was something akin to a 'Meh'. So much for expectations ! Being from a place where you overhear people discuss string theory over steamy idlis I had the opportunity to talk to a few very different people about the movie. One of my friends who is an aspiring physicist told me that he found the movie appalling. It would have been okay if it had chosen to show light sabres or warp or any impossibility like the Star Trek/Wars series which might be explained by future technology and is put in an already non-realistic environment. However interstellar had goofed up already know things; it had shown things that we know fo...

Heroines and Heros :)

 I don't remember when I read my first fantasy novel. As far as my recollection goes, those distant days have gone into the dark mists of time and never wandered back. Hearing my father narrate the adventures of Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera and of course Kaa is one of my earliest memories. After that the worlds which I have been a part of are too many to list yet I will try to list a few :), Eragon Cycle all the way to 'Inheritance', Ameer Hamsa and Mahabharatha and its cohorts (of very questionable beliefs when I look back upon them), bits of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, Magicians Series by Lev Grossman, Firefly, Avatar, Jumanji and recently HPMOR (Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality). It would be a great injustice to discount the works like 'Around the World in 80 days', 'Nautilus' , SHE and Ayesha , House MD ( :D) and numerous others of this league. Even though they're not called fantasy per se, they do transport you to a different world full of ...

Accelerating Universe

Today I had the opportunity to listen to Prof. Brian Schmidt, Nobel Laureate in Physics in the year 2011. Being (relatively) a very young student of Mathematics and Physics I did not understand the involved, mathematical (and most probably the juiciest) part of his one hour long talk; however even without that, it was quite fascinating. Instead of the usual impersonal presentations we were greeted by a simply formatted and edited presentation with lots pictures which were threaded together to provide a narrative of his research interwoven with the pressing questions in the field. Almost all of the things he talked about were quite new to me; I still practically have no grasp over most of them. He talked about the shape of the universe and how depending on a differential equation (Friedmann Equations) dealing with scale factor a, how the shape of the universe can be closed, flat or open, how it can be expanding and how the expansion can be accelerating or not. Another interesting ...